Saturday, January 14, 2012

wide awake and.

So the tree rustles in the evening, when we stand uneasy before our own childish thoughts: Trees have long thoughts, long-breathing and restful, just as they have longer lives than ours. They are wiser than we are, as long as we do not listen to them. But when we have learned how to listen to trees, then the brevity and the quickness and the childlike hastiness of our thoughts achieve an incomparable joy. Whoever has learned how to listen to trees no longer wants to be a tree. He wants to be nothing except what he is. That is home. That is happiness.”
― Hermann Hesse

In the stillness of early morning, when all is quiet save for the soft sounds of deep sleep, punctuating the heavy silence; this, this is where I am found.

I am not lost, though my mind is uncertain; I am sure my feet are planted in the earth of my soul, and all I must do is place one foot in front of the other. Keep on.

At this time in my life, I find myself feeling more unsure than I remember ever being. There's a stale taste in my mouth, an ache in my heart - I know I'm learning big lessons right now, and I'm close to feeling grounded about all of this. I guess all I can do is continue to ask for Divine guidance and trust.

Somehow, though, there's a glacial calm that permeates the chaos; a cool force amidst the fire. I am learning. I must be gentle with myself. I am in the right place, at the right time, doing the right thing. I must strive for more observation and less judgment of myself.

Tomorrow's a new day. The next moment is a new moment. How fortunate we are to be able to begin and renew our practice at any time. How lucky we are, truly, if we remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment