Friday, June 5, 2009

ON TEACHERS AND TEACHING.

"It is relatively easy to be a teacher of an academic subject, but to be a teacher in art is very difficult, and to be a yoga teacher is the hardest of all, because yoga teachers have to be their own critics and correct their own practice. The art of yoga is entirely subjective and practical. Yoga teachers have to know the entire functioning of the body; they have to know the behaviour of the people that come to them and how to react and be ready to help, to protect and safeguard their pupils.
The requisites of a teacher are many, but I would like to give a few words for you all to catch, understand and work on. Later you can discover many more. The teacher should be clear, clever, confident, challenging, caring, cautious, constructive, courageous, comprehending, creative, completely devoted and dedicated to knowing the subject, considerate, conscientious, critical, committed, cheerful, chaste and calm. Teachers must be strong and positive in their approach. They must be affirmative to create confidence in the pupils, and negative within themselves so that they can reflect critically on their own practice and attitudes. Teachers must always be learning. They will learn from their pupils and must have the humility to tell them that they are still learning their art."
-- B.K.S. Iyengar  "The Tree of Yoga"
**********************************************************

I have come to a point in my life where I must take a bit of a break from teaching, and FULLY climb back into the student's seat in order to further my own spiritual practice. If you've been reading up to this point, you will see that my old blog has been deleted, to make space for new. Following advice from a good friend and teacher in my own life, I'm revamping the new space; the previous blog was mere "fluff" that wasn't really serving to uplift anyone, or even myself. It is not serving anyone's highest purpose to read random ramblings about things that don't really matter -- mine, least of all. And being that I'm in a position to be somewhat responsible for the spiritual evolution of certain individuals who have placed themselves in my care, I intend to be more accountable and less reckless with my thoughts and words.

I will resume yoga classes in the fall -- I hope you come out to them. Have a beautiful summer, and we'll reconvene in September, bright, shining and rejuvenated.  This blog will continue, if you wish to continue following along, and even if you don't. Highest blessings of happiness and health for you!

All the love in the world, and namaste for miles,
kx

No comments:

Post a Comment